In this episode, we’d like to welcome Shannon Whittington. Shannon is a speaker and best-selling author of her book LGBTQ ABC’s for Grownups. She is a clinical nurse expert in gender-affirming surgeries for transgender and nonbinary patients. She is an advocate of the LGBTQ community.
Shannon answers the following questions for the viewers:
- How much education did you receive in LGBTQ+?
- What do transgender and binary mean and what are gender-affirming surgeries?
- What are some struggles and barriers the LGBTQ community faces
- What is gender dysphoria? What age does it start?
- At what age can people be put on hormones or get surgery?
- Can you tell us why people switch sexes? What seems to be the main reason?
- What are some things we need to be conscious of when providing care to the LGBTQ population?
- How can I be an ally to the LGBTQ+ pop?