Travel Nursing: Housing, Travel, and Transportation
Travel Nursing: Housing, Travel, and Transportation
When you accept your travel nursing contract you are going to need to establish travel nursing housing, transportation, and travel. If you decide to go with the option of finding your own housing you are in for a project, but it will increase your income in the long run. You’re going to need to devote some time to figuring out where you want to live, how you’ll get there, and what you will be doing there.
When looking to find a home for your travel nursing assignment there are many things to consider.
- Proximity to the job. You are going to run into a lot of homes and condos that are available to rent or lease. The first question that arises is how long and far are you willing to drive. If you wish to stay closer to the facility you are going to limit yourself on what you can do for fun but that’s completely fine, sacrifices have to be made.
- Proximity to activities. If you accepted a travel nursing contract in a location you want to explore this might be a deciding factor for you. If you are ok to drive to work for 30min+ this will expand your housing options. Did you accept the contract because you also wanted to have a mini-vacation? Then you should be ok with driving to work for a greater period of time so that you can take full advantage of your time off, plus living further from your assignment expands your housing search. Live by the beach if you want to try water activities or stay near a major city to enjoy its museums and nightlife.
- The cost. This will be the major factor in your decision on where to house. You need to do a cost-save analysis to make sure that the place you want to stay in also fits your budget. Your goal as a travel nurse is to not only enjoy it but also make some money. Make sure you are still able to save and enjoy your hobbies. Remember to see if utilities are also covered by tinder the rent or lease agreement.
- Necessities. You also have to think about what are your necessities. What are the things you must have? For example when we took on a travel nursing contract we needed either a pool or a hot tub. Maybe you want to be near a specific park, stadium, pier, or beach.
It’s fairly accurate to say that since you are taking on a travel nursing contract you are either into traveling or you want to make some more money. For your travel nursing assignment, it is always beneficial to get an idea of what you want to do or visit. You may only be in that area for the length of the contract and you may never return. You want to make the best of your travels.
The quickest way to learn about a city is to look it up and find out its most popular places. From there you can meet locals and learn what they enjoy doing in that city. A great resource on what to do during your travels is to talk to your coworkers. They are going to know where everything is, the best places to get brunch, the trails with the highest points, where to see a waterfall, or even which parks are the best.
What we find helpful is devoting one day a week to an activity. You should also make a schedule for when to do activities as well as a list of activities you want to do.
Now you need to consider how you’re going to get to the place you will be living at. There are a few options for you.
- You can drive your car. This is going to be the least costly method. You need to consider how long your drive will be and the amount of gas. You also need to consider if you want to add all the miles you will be putting in your car if you decide to travel far away. The other key point is that you will not be able to pack as many things because you won’t have the option of extra luggage during a flight. This is a great choice for someone that packs light and enjoys road trips.
- Ship your car and fly. This is a good idea when you don’t like being in a car for long periods of time. This is also going to cost a significant amount more than just driving. Shipping a car can cost over a thousand dollars depending on the season, we recommend looking at different transportation companies and comparing their rate. The plane ticket can also be expensive and we recommend shopping around for a good price. This is also the more comfortable route. When flying you’re also going to be able to bring luggage with you but remember that costs too, plus you can pack up your car before it gets shipped.
- Fly and get a rental car. This is also a great method if you are traveling with a friend and can last in one car. You can fly to your destination and pick up a rental car which can cost about the same as shipping your car. You are a little limited on the things you can bring because you won’t be able to stuff your car before it gets shipped. This is the most convenient method but be sure to shop around for the best rental prices,
As a traveling nurse, there are a lot of things to consider when it comes to travel nursing housing, travel, and transportation. Travel nursing takes a lot of preparation and planning. Make sure to devote a lot of time to research and communication so you are satisfied with your decisions.