Being a Travel Nurse Practitioner With Ebony Thyme
Besides travel nurses, we also have traveling nurse practitioners. What is a traveling nurse practitioner anyway?
By definition, they are healthcare professionals who work at a facility away from their home base. They act as immediate and often temporary staffing for healthcare facilities.
Traveling nurse practitioners often work in senior care centers, hospitals, clinics, stand-alone emergency rooms, urgent care locations, and other healthcare facilities where there is a need for registered nurse practitioners.
These facilities could need assistance from an NP because of patient overflow or a full-time employee on an extended leave or has retired.
A traveling nurse practitioner is also like a travel nurse. The only difference is that a traveling nurse practitioner’s contract can last one day to one year. Meanwhile, travel nurses go on contract for as long as 13 weeks.
In this episode, we welcome our guest Ebony Thyme, a full-time Travel NP and a full-time wanderlust. A free-spirited individual with eight years of nursing experience.
She also worked as a Travel NP in four states and has traveled to more than 30+ countries. Ebony’s background includes Family Medicine and before her NP journey, she was also an ICU Nurse.
QUESTIONS FOR GUESTS
The questions below are some we’d like to tackle. We go off-topic all the time so we don’t expect to hit them all. If you have any ideas please let us know. Looking forward to our conversation!
- Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
- How did you get into nursing?
- What made you be ICU?
- What made you transition into being a travel nurse practitioner?
- What made you enter into a traveling career?
- What have you learned?
- What was the hardest thing for you to get used to?
- Advice to anyone that wants to be a travel RN or NP?
- What is the market for travel nurse practitioners?
- What are some of the expectations and responsibilities?
- What was your favorite state to travel to for work?
- You’ve been to 30 countries, why do you travel so much?
- What have you learned from exploring so many cultures?
- How has it expanded your mind and perspective?
- How important is it for you to travel and why should people do more traveling?
- As an NP, how were you able to make your career give you financial freedom and the ability to control where your time goes?
- What are you currently working on?
- NPing around the US?
- Travel boot camp? What is it?
- Locum Tenen Guide?
- Thyme Talks podcast?
Before we end the show we have one last question we like to ask all our guests. If you had the opportunity to have a cup of coffee with anybody one last time, who would it be & why?
You can catch Ebony on her Instagram accounts at @ebbthenp and @frontpage_eb. For her master class, podcast, and other sites, check out the links below:
- Locum Tenen Guide: https://www.wellnessthymehealth.com/travel-with-ebb1647075637678
- Boot Camp Master Class: https://www.wellnessthymehealth.com/pdfguide1649615396551
- YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQbp4tG5MqLTPbE0qCY6WBQ
- Thyme Talks Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/thyme-talks/id1605695161?i=1000548183697
If you are interested in becoming a traveling NP, watch the full episode here to learn more 👇
02:56 About the Guest
05:27 The difference between Travel Nurse and a Travel NP
09:01 What is transitioning from Nurse to NP look like?
13:15 Advantage of a Nurse Practitioner
15:11 3 tips for nursing students
19:02 The importance of self-care
22:22 Solo traveling experience
24:31 Fears and Expectations
26:11 Difference between living on the east coast and the west coast
29:08 The humbling life in other countries
34:32 Places you should visit
35:35 What kept Ebony busy
39:51 Things I wish I knew earlier in my career
42:10 The worst contract
45:15 Toxic workplace
49:54 Who would you want to have a cup of coffee one last time?