Is There Nursing Shortage with The Nurse Erica
Is there a nursing shortage in the United States? That is the question in everyone’s mind. But according to the American Nurses Association, more nursing jobs will be available through 2022. It is the fastest-growing profession compared to any other job in the US.
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that more than 275,000 additional nurses are needed from 2020 to 2030 while employment opportunities are predicted to grow at 9% until 2026. That said, the nursing shortage is not entirely true. And what that in mind, we introduce to your our guest, The Nurse Erica as we discuss this topic.
The Nurse Erica, as she is known on social media, is a prolific advocate for nurses. She says the things we all want to say but are too afraid of retaliation.
We talk about her journey from being a nurse to a nurse manager, the fake nursing shortage, and the lack of nursing unions.
QUESTIONS FOR GUESTS
The questions below are some we’d like to tackle. We often go off-topic, so we don’t expect to hit them all. If you have any ideas, please let us know.
Looking forward to our conversation!
These are the questions you had in Calendly. We’ll go off your questions and wherever else our conversation goes.
- Erica, can you give a little background about yourself?
- What shift have you noticed in the nursing community pre versus post-pandemic?
- Do you have a personal first-hand experience that made you advocate for nurses?
- What are some nurses’ rights that are non-negotiable for all nurses to navigate the complexities of care properly?
- We are big on safe work environments that prioritize and protect nurses’ well-being and provide support, resources, and tools to stay psychologically and physically whole.
- What are the benefits of nursing unions?
- What should nurses know when it comes to reporting?
- Why do you say there is no nursing shortage?
Before we end the show, we have one last question we like to ask all our guests.
If you had the opportunity to have a Cup of coffee with anybody one last time, who would it be & why?
Connect with Nurse Erica through her Instagram at @the.nurse.erica and Facebook Page at Nurse Erica for more updates.
You can also visit and subscribe to her YouTube channel at The Nurse Erica or follow her on TikTok at @the.nurse.erica for the latest.
Learn more about nursing shortage by watching the full episode here 👇
01:42 About the guest
02:32 Nursing school vs nursing
06:15 Changes in healthcare post-pandemic
09:26 How managers and nurse leaders can help nurses
14:08 Corruption in healthcare
19:51 Setting boundaries as a nurse
23:20 The powerlessness of nursing and where to file reports
26:29 Are nursing unions worth it?
33:20 Why hospitals hate unions
43:48 Is there a nursing shortage?
51:13 End remarks