Mental Health and Psychology with Aleks Zubek
This episode will cover self-care, burnout, and mental health. We would also like to introduce our guest, Aleksandra Zubek. She is currently in a clinical psychology counseling internship. We discuss Mental health, self-care, depression, and burnout during COVID.
Mental Health Facts:
- 1 in 5 U.S. adults experiences mental illness each year
- 1 in 20 U.S. adults experiences severe mental illness each year
- 1 in 6 U.S. youth aged 6-17 experience a mental health disorder each year
- 50% of all lifetime mental illness begins by age 14, and 75% by age 24
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among people aged 10-34
These are some of the questions we answer with Aleks:
- What is burnout?
- What is self-care?
- Why do you think people see it as selfish? Is it selfish?
- Because if your cup isn’t complete, you can’t give more.
- How can we promote our self-care during covid? What can people do?
- Ever thought about what you do for yourself that makes you feel good?
- Whether it’s going to do a face mask, reading a fun novel, or going on a 10-minute walk.
- How can someone figure out what makes them feel good? Let’s take, for example, someone with depression that can’t find something to be happy about. How can they find that spark, or can we help them find it?
- Drug overdoses have been on the rise in 2020. Where can it stem from?
- How can we promote self-healing? In this sense, how can we get past trauma?
- How to approach Different types of trauma?
- Traumatic grief
- Annual prevalence among U.S. adults, by condition, top 3. Can we touch upon each? What are they, their symptoms, whos at risk, how it develops, best approaches?
- Anxiety Disorders: 19.1% (estimated 48 million people)
- Major Depressive Episode: 7.8% (19.4 million people)
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: 3.6% (estimated 9 million people)
Learn how you can take care of your mental health by clicking on this full episode 👇👇👇
00:00 – Intro
00:18 – Welcome to the show
00:43 – Guest Intro
01:17 – What is Burnout?
02:45 – Asking patients what is one good thing they can do for themselves today
03:33 – Signs That You’re Burnout
04:43 – Can burnout lead to depression?
09:00 – Talking to patients over zoom or video calls
11:20 – Long-term consequences of the pandemic on our mental health
18:39 – In what ways can nurses promote self-care to prevent burnout?
22:23 – Compassion Fatigue
27:22 – Are people seeking drugs more now than before?
29:50 – How to help people who are in isolation?
32:30 – What would it be if we could change something in the mental health department?
36:30 – Favorite psychologist – Irvin Yalom
40:34 – Mimicking behaviors
43:00 – Tips to decrease anxiety/depression
44:20 – Wrapping up the show
44:44 – End of show