Benefits of Drinking A Gallon Of Water A Day
Drinking a gallon of water a day seems like a chore.
Normally people don’t drink close to a gallon of water a day, and many aren’t aware of the benefits it possesses. To start off, our body is made up of about 60% water. With such a large water-to-body ratio, why aren’t we drinking enough water?
Water is so beneficial, so easy, so free, yet so easily overlooked. If you have frequent headaches, are constipated, or are always hungry, water might be the answer for you. I used to suffer from frequent headaches, and my only relief was 200mg of ibuprofen.
If people think headaches are “normal” and just pop a pill to relieve the symptoms, then you are wrong. It can be a multitude of other factors, but it’s important to treat the most common underlying cause of dehydration!
So do you literally have to drink a gallon a day?
The answer is no. Medline recommends 8 (8oz) glasses a day, and others suggest taking your weight into consideration. To be honest, you can’t overdo drinking water because the kidneys will simply excrete anything excess, a.k.a peeing a lot! For example, a person that weighs 160 pounds should drink 5 water bottles, which is a little less than 3/4 of a gallon.
Proper hydration is key for optimal health; not consuming enough can lead to serious complications, including but not limited to dehydration. All of our organs and cells need water to function.
Benefits of water include:
Increase in energy & relieves fatigue
- Our brain is mostly made up of water. Drinking plenty of water helps you think, focus, and be more alert. After about two weeks of being on top of my water intake, I realized when waking up, I was less dependent on coffee for that mental boost of energy.
Promotes weight loss
- Drink a glass of water before your meal and see how much less you consume. Water helps keep you full and reduces hunger by acting as an appetite suppressant in a zero-calorie package.
Flushes out toxins
- Water helps the body get rid of toxins through sweat and urination, which also reduces your risk of kidney stones and UTIs (Urinary Tract Infection). Speaking of flush… You’ll be heading to the bathroom more often.
Improves skin complexion
- Hydration prevents dryness and wrinkles reduce blemishes, and it’s the best anti-aging product around! I noticed with regular consumption of water, I relied less on lotion to keep my skin moisturized
Boosts immune system
- Your immune system functions best when your muscles and organs are functioning at optimum. A clear system is a clean system.
Prevents cramps & Sprains
- Proper hydration keeps your joints lubricated and muscles elastic. The cause of muscle cramps is not exactly known. It is thought to be caused by many things such as overuse, staying in one position for too long, electrolyte dysfunction, and of course, the main one is dehydration.
With the perks that water has, why not give a daily gallon of water a try? You can always start with less and build your way to the recommended water intake. Be ready to feel more focused, energized, and less hungry. Ultimately small changes in your life will help you become a better version of yourself.