Ep 135: International Nursing with Tanya Freedman
In this episode, we would like to introduce our guest Tanya Freedman. Tanya Freedman is the founder of Connetics USA, we can say she is a career matchmaker. Connetics USA specializes in medical placements, working across a range of disciplines within the medical industry, providing highly-trained nurses that meet every requirement of their client companies.
Some of the questions that we asked Tanya:
- Tanya tell us a little bit about your life? Where did you come from and how did you end up here where you are today?
- Tanya, how did you get started with Connetics USA?
- Why do nurses want to come to the US?
- Better pay?
- More opportunity?
- We know many countries differ from the US have you noticed any common struggles faced by nurses in other countries?
- Poor living conditions, poor hospital environment, lack of career opportunities?
- Is there a particular story or stories that really stand out to you from any of the international nurses you’ve placed?
- How do nurses from other countries differ from nurses in the states?
- What are some benefits of hospitals and care facilities in hiring international nurses?
- What is the process for the international nurses to get work in the states?
- Do they need a visa?
- Does their degree transfer over?
- Do they need to retake the NCLEX?
- Short-term contracts? Longterm contracts?
- How has Covid and the pandemic affected you and Connetics USA
0:00 Cup of Nurses Introduction
1:41 Guest Introduction
2:17 Tanya Freedman background
3:17 What made you start your business?
4:18 Why do nurses want to go to the USA?
5:26 What is the difference between International and US healthcare?
7:40 Memorable international nurse story
9:52 Do you place nurses in all states?
10:51 How does international nurses’ contract work?
12:36 Can international nurses switch units?
13:30 Do you have to pass the NCLEX to work in the US?
16:34 How do the visas work for international nurses?
17:44 Do you see hospitals hiring international nurses now?
19:36 What is the timeline between passing the NCLEX and start working?
22:44 Do international nurses pursue higher education?
24:14 Do they bring their family over to the US?
25:27 Changes in Immigration laws
28:28 What are the struggles of international nurses when they arrive?
31:48 Do hospitals help in the process of hiring?
33:37 Is it hard to get a green card for certain countries?
35:46 What’s the country with the highest numbers of applicants?
38:32 Facebook group and Instagram Live
41:48 What is your current obsession?
43:49 Where can people find Tanya Freedman?