EP 194: Noninvasive Positive Pressure Ventilation with Aurika Savickaite
Noninvasive positive pressure ventilation is a recognized alternative in managing selected cases of acute respiratory failure.
It is a form of mechanical support where positive pressure delivers a mixture of oxygen and air through the respiratory tree using a noninvasive interface. It could be through standard ICU ventilators or portable devices.
Now, if this is something new to you and you want to learn about NPPV, this episode is for you.
For this episode, we would like to introduce you to Aurika Savickaite. Aurika has worked as a registered nurse and patient care manager at the University of Chicago Medical Center’s Medical Intensive Care Unit.
She was also involved in successfully testing the helmet ventilator in the ICU at the University of Chicago during a three-year trial study.
In the episode, we focus on the benefits of helmet-based noninvasive positive pressure ventilation on patient outcomes.
QUESTIONS FOR GUESTS
The questions below are some we’d like to tackle. We often go off-topic, so we don’t expect to hit them all. If you have any ideas, please let us know.
Looking forward to our conversation!
These are the questions you had in Calendly. We’ll go off your questions and wherever else our conversation goes.
- Can you give us a little background about yourself?
- What is Noninvasive Positive Pressure Ventilation (NIPPV), and what are some typical examples of this you see at the hospital?
- What made you decide to be involved in creating helmet-based ventilation?
- What exactly is it?
- Can you explain the product and how it works?
- How does helmet-based ventilation compare to our current noninvasive positive pressure ventilation?
- What is the cost difference?
- Can it lead to fewer intubations?
- How have the helmets been working out in New Zealand?
- You’re a problem solver at heart. Are there any other things you are working to improve? Inside or outside of the healthcare setting?
Before we end the show, we have one last question we like to ask all our guests. If you had the opportunity to have a Cup of coffee with anybody one last time, who would it be & why?
Online training course:
Links to two articles mentioned in the podcast:
Learn more about Noninvasive Positive Pressure Ventilation in this full episode 👇👇👇
02:15 About Aurika Savickaite
04:35 How does a ventilation helmet look like
08:28 The cons of using the facemask
12:07 Why does a patient needs positive pressure ventilation
17:55 The advantage of using the helmet interface over the facemask
25:39 Helmet interface has lesser chances of intubation
30:14 Is there a noise issue with the helmet?
33:50 How has the helmet helped the world
38:38 Embracing Innovations to improving patient care
43:31 To much technology is not always better
48:16 Improving patient care should start with nurses
55:25 Other things that interest Aurika
01:01:12 Wrapping up the show