Nursing Negligence & HIPPA with Irnise Williams
Nursing negligence is when a nurse fails to do or perform minimum nursing care within the standards of conduct, which results in loss or harm. It can also result from a failure of the nurse to perform their duties or when it is done incorrectly.
While this rarely happens, it is still something that all nurses must be aware of. The lives of our patients are in our hands, it is vital that we are always conscious and mindful of our job and duties as members of the healthcare team.
In this episode, we would like to introduce you to Irnise Williams. Irnise is an experienced nurse and now an attorney. She has a vast amount of knowledge when it comes to healthcare law. Irnise has advocated for and trained thousands of healthcare providers to work within their scope of practice. She has also worked with over 100 businesses helping them operate and stay protected by creating systems, solutions, and success through her 5-step framework.
QUESTIONS FOR GUESTS
The questions below are some we’d like to tackle. We often go off-topic, so we don’t expect to hit them all. If you have any ideas, please let us know.
Looking forward to our conversation!
These are the questions you had in Calendly. We’ll go off your questions and wherever else our conversation goes.
- Can you give us a background about yourself?
- From a legal standpoint, what can nurses get in trouble for?
- What kind of cases do you see most that involve nurses, physicians, or any healthcare professionals?
- What is malpractice from a healthcare professional standpoint?
- What is your experience with malpractice cases?
- Should every nurse have malpractice insurance?
- Other than malpractice insurance, how should nurses protect their licenses?
- What Potential Legal Ramifications Do Nurses Face?
- What should you do as a healthcare professional to avoid getting sued?
- Have HIPPA laws changed at all?
- How is social media use affected by HIPPA law in the workplace?
- Can we talk about nursing stories outside of the hospital setting?
- What is the 66-day business Bootcamp you offer?
Before we end the show, we have one last question we like to ask all our guests. If you had the opportunity to have a Cup of coffee with anybody one last time, who would it be & why?
Learn more about Nursing Negligence & HIPPA by watching the full episode here! 👇😎
01:50 About Irnise Williams
05:19 The reason why Irnise went to law school
07:30 Transitioning from being a nurse to running a law firm
11:31 What you should do to avoid getting into trouble
14:08 Things that nurses may be held accountable for in court
20:52 The difference between negligence and malpractice
22:46 HIPPA Violations
28:29 Information you shouldn’t post on social media
30:31 Can a healthcare provider sue a hospital
33:52 Does healthcare provider need malpractice insurance
35:06 Other services Irnise can provide
36:47 Legal tips for nursepreneurs
38:31 Responsibilities and liabilities of a travel agency
41:26 Wrapping up the show